Job search checklist for job hunters

by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.

This job-search checklist follows the five essential steps of job-hunting that we also explain in our article, The Domino Effect: Key Phases of Your Job Search. To have a successful job search, all job-seekers must be sure to have every element on this list checked. To truly master the job search, you'll want to master each element on the list.

Part 1: Job Search Planning & Preparation

I have:

job-search planning checklist a clear understanding of the job search process and have developed a job-search strategy. Read more.
job-search planning checklist a clear understanding of the jobs that interest me -- and that I am qualified for.
job-search planning checklist outlined a clear career path/track for myself. Read more.
job search planning checklist identified my strengths and weaknesses. Read more.
job-search prep checklist developed my unique selling proposition, which will help me distinguish myself from other job-seekers. Read more.
job-search plan checklist identified my key accomplishments from all school and work experiences. Read more.
job-hunting planning checklist identified my core transferable skills. Read more.
job-search planning checklist identified the main industries/companies that interest me.
job-hunting planning checklist researched the companies that most interest me. Read more.
job-search checklist a clear understanding of the importance of marketing skills when job-hunting. Read more.
job-search checklist developed and strengthened my network of contacts and know the value and importance of networking in a job search. Read more.
job search checklist gathered a key list (including contact information) of references. Read more.

Part 2: Cover Letters

I have:

cover letter planning checklist reviewed the Cover Letter Tutorial.
cover letter planning checklist read about the basic strategy and importance of using a cover letter. Read more.
cover letter planning checklist reviewed the basic structure of a dynamic cover letter. Read more.
cover letter planning checklist examined examples of strong, dynamic cover letters. Read more.
cover letter planning checklist used action verbs to describe my accomplishments. Read more
cover letter planning checklist focused my cover letter with specific information. Read more.
cover letter planning checklist addressed each cover letter to a named individual.
cover letter planning checklist tailored each cover letter to the specific needs of each employer.
cover letter planning checklist clearly stated how I can meet the employer's needs.
cover letter planning checklist demonstrated my knowledge of the company.
cover letter planning checklist kept my cover letter to one page.
cover letter planning checklist not rehashed my resume, but highlighted specific critical points.
cover letter planning checklist not stated anything negative. Read more.
cover letter planning checklist avoided the three most common cover letter mistakes. Read more.
cover letter planning checklist edited and proofread each letter carefully.
cover letter planning checklist requested action (an interview) from the employer.
cover letter planning checklist reviewed the Cover Letter Checklist.

Part 3: Resumes

I have:

resume preparation checklist reviewed the Resume Tutorial.
resume checklist a clear understanding of the different types of resumes formats. Read more.
resume checklist developed a list (3-4) of key accomplishments for each work experience.
resume writing checklist used bullets and short phrases to describe my accomplishments.
resume checklist avoided the usage of "responsibilities included" or "duties included," "responsible for."
resume prep checklist provided as much contact information as possible on my resume.
resume writing checklist composed a "summary of qualifications" or "key accomplishments" section. Read more.
resume preparation checklist reviewed samples of strong resumes. Read more.
resume writing checklist avoided using personal pronouns ("I," "my," "me") in my resume.
resume checklist considered using transferable skills (especially if I am a career changer or recent college grad without much experience). Read more.
resumes checklist not listed any personal information (age, marital status, etc.) on my resume.
resume checklist not lied or provided any false information on my resume.
resumes checklist not listed any references directly on my resume.
resume checklist proofread my resume carefully and eliminated any errors, typos, and misspellings.

Part 4: Interviewing Skills

I have:

job interview checklist reviewed the Job Interviewing Tutorial.
interviews checklist read about and reviewed different types of job interviews. Read more.
job interviewing checklist prepared answers for the most common interview questions. Read more.
interviewing checklist practiced answering different types of job interview questions. Read more.
job interview checklist taken advantage of mock interviews.
interview checklist prepared several questions to ask the employer during the interview. Read more.
job checklist a clear understanding of the position I am interviewing for.
job interview checklist prepared for the possibility of an initial screening interview by phone. Read more.
job checklist read and reviewed the importance of dressing for success. Read more.
job interview checklist taken a practice run so I know how long it will take to reach the interview.
job interview checklist prepared myself to give a firm (and dry) handshake, to make eye contact with the interviewer(s), and to show enthusiasm for the job and company.
interviewing checklist researched each company so that I can showcase that knowledge in the interview. Read more.
interviewing checklist a clear understanding of the salary negotiation process. Read more.
job checklist researched salaries and have clear expectations about salaries.
job interview checklist prepared a "closing" for the interview that expresses my desire for the job and inquires about the next step in the interview process. Read more.

Part 5: Follow-Up

I have:

following up checklist chased down every potential job lead.
follow up checklist kept my network of contacts informed of my job search progress.
following up checklist followed-up each cover letter with a phone call or email to the employer requesting a job interview.
interview following up checklist written thank you letters to every person I interviewed with at each company. Read more.
job following up checklist phoned the employer about a week after the first interview to check on the progress of the job search. Read more.
follow up checklist written acceptance or declining letters to all job offers. Read more.


Questions about some of the terminology used in this article? Get more information (definitions and links) on key college, career, and job-search terms by going to our Job-Seeker's Glossary of Job-Hunting Terms.

QuintCareers.com Founder Dr. Randall Hansen Dr. Randall S. Hansen is founder of Quintessential Careers, one of the oldest and most comprehensive career development sites on the Web, as well CEO of EmpoweringSites.com. He is also founder of MyCollegeSuccessStory.com and EnhanceMyVocabulary.com. He is publisher of Quintessential Careers Press, including the Quintessential Careers electronic newsletter, QuintZine. Dr. Hansen is also a published author, with several books, chapters in books, and hundreds of articles. He's often quoted in the media and conducts empowering workshops around the country. Finally, Dr. Hansen is also an educator, having taught at the college level for more than 15 years. Visit his personal Website or reach him by email at randall(at)quintcareers.com.

source: http://www.quintcareers.com/job-search_checklist.html

Comments

Popular Posts